Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Goldfinches picking seeds.....

It's been gloomy and rainy here the last couple of days.  But that doesn't stop the Goldfinches from their mission of picking all the seeds out of the dead Black-eyed Susan flower heads!
The Goldfinches have reverted to their drab winter color....no more bright yellow.  Combined with the dreary weather and the dead flowers these aren't exactly colorful or "pretty" photos :-)
 We counted as many as 10 of them picking over the seeds.
 I included this more distant shot to give an over-view.  I can see at least 5 in this photo.  It was hard for the camera to pick them out at times and I had a lot of slightly unfocused shots.
 This one took off while I was shooting, making an interesting flutter of wings.  I can see the edge of another one's wings down below behind a leaf.  They hide well!
 Resting
 Pensive
 Working
 I like the way he found two flowers...one for each foot...to rest on.
 Digging in.  
Luckily, this gloomy weather keeps the neighbor's cat away.  She was busy sleeping in the dry garage and ignoring them.
 They are very industrious little birds and when they eat they really concentrate on what they are doing.  At the feeders they just hang there and eat and eat and eat.
 Checking out the head of some Goldenrod as well.
And all that eating makes you thirsty!
*****
Gloomy again today, but hopefully clearing off tomorrow.  This is the week of our big Fall Festival....an entire week of eating and rides and entertainment on a closed off street on the west side.  If the weather clears up, maybe I'll get down there for some photos!

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, We had TONS of Goldfinches this past summer --but unless I have just missed seeing them lately (in their dull colors), many of them have moved to Indiana to be with you!!!!! ha

Great set of photos.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

Goldfinches are still pretty,even in their winter coats. Your talk of rainy weather makes me long for a few rainy days. We need it so bad.

Mary said...

Betsy: Glad to see you back home! We usually have a lot of Goldfinches this time of year and there are lots of seeds for them right now.

Ruth: We went for several months without rain...bad drought...but are finally catching up now that fall is here. I hope you get your rain soon, too!

Rose said...

You sure had a busy photography session! They blend so well with the backgrounds...I had to really look to see the 5 in the one shot. I wonder if there are any more that we just are not seeing in it.

George said...

You got some great pictures of these goldfinches hard at work.

A Colorful World said...

I think they are very pretty! Love all those seedheads that they are feasting on, and the lovely goldenrod. But the birds themselves are wonderful!