Wednesday, October 3, 2012

American Lady vs. Painted Lady....

This week I was fortunate to see both the American Lady butterfly and the Painted Lady butterfly, so I thought I would post a comparison of the two.  Unfortunately, my American Lady was in very bad shape.
 Above....the Painted Lady with 4 small "eye spots" on the hindwing.  
Below is the American Lady with only 2 large eye spots on the hindwing.
************************
 Above....again, the Painted Lady
Below.....the American Lady
*************************
 Above.....Painted Lady....there are some other difference besides the eye spots, but that is the easiest way to tell them apart.
Below.....American Lady.....this one is so old and torn, it makes the comparison of other markings difficult, but the hind wing spots are the easiest thing to look for.
 ******************
I thought this poor American Lady deserved one last photo :-)  Sharing her flower with a bee.

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are great to help identify these two butterflies.

Dorothy said...

Great post, Mary! I love seeing these and determining which one I'm seeing, thanks to you for telling me the differences!

Rose said...

I did not know there were two different painted ladies so you just taught me something new!

Shelley said...

Loved seeing this beautiful comparison! I wish I was able to ID butterflies better!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, We have a VERY busy weekend since my son is getting married..... Should be TERRIFIC.

They are both beautiful butterflies, Ruth. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
Betsy

Roy said...

Fabulous.

A Colorful World said...

This was a very interesting post, Mary! I'm glad to learn the differences and you got some good photos!

Sorry I am so behind with everyone...still trying to catch up!