Saturday, August 4, 2012

Wet again!....

What a difference 2" of rain can make!  We went by the wetlands for the first time in a month.  We have recently begun to have some thunderstorms and brief showers again.  I was hoping it had made a difference at the wetlands and was thrilled when I got there and saw......
....the water level back to normal!  What a change from the photo below from last month.
This was actually not as bad as it got.  The last time I went before we got rain, it was so bad, I just cried and didn't take any photos.  This area above was almost totally dry.
 What a joy to walk around and see water and life again!  This bee is enjoying the asters in the meadow area.
 Catalpa pods hanging over my head.
Elderberries 
 A Great Blue Heron on the creek
I don't know the name of this wildflower if anyone else does.  But was overjoyed at the lovely purple color. 
 Cardinal flower?
 I saw two skinks on the rails.  Never got very close, but got a couple of shots.

 Sumac
Swamp Milkweed....very popular with Monarch butterflies.  I didn't see the Monarch caterpillar hidden in the middle of the flower until I got home.  I have seen so few butterflies this year, I didn't expect to see any or caterpillars either! 
Thistles 
A nice big turtle on one of the logs.
One of the many yellow late summer flowers.
The big surprise were the Goldfinches eating the duckweed on the creek!  I've seen them do this before, but it was a very welcome sight.  There were at least a dozen scattered around pecking at the weeds.
 I didn't see the blue dragonfly to the left of this one when I took the shot.  It was good to see dragonflies buzzing around the water again, too.  I saw at least four different kinds.
 Stretching down!
 "This is all mine!"  
I think there is plenty to feed everyone. 
 Greens for supper.....does it have seeds they eat??
Under the fallen tree. 
What a wonderful surprise to see all this life in the wetlands again!
God is good!

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts,
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost!"
Amen

12 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is such a blessing to see the water and with it the life return to an area. I love those Goldfinches in a sea of green.

Cicero Sings said...

Rain is such a blessing - life giving - refreshing! Ahhhhh. Glad you got some and that the wetlands are watery once again.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, these are wonderful to see! I wish we would get some...we need it so bad. At least someone got some.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary! I know it was a joy to see new life and growing things in the wetlands again! The wildflowers are beautiful and i think that is a cardinal flower. I've never seen the purple one before. I never imagined Goldfinch would eat the duckweed! There's plenty of it, so they can have a feast!
Happy Sunday! It's already Sunday and I'm unable to sleep so here I am trying to get sleepy. ♥ ♥ ♥

wildaboutwales said...

its the greater knapweed(centaurea scabiosa)
What a great find in the creek.

grammie g said...

HI Mary..Wow that was some dry!! Good to see it alive with happy flowers and wildlife!! Your photos are so lovely of the area!!
I cannot believe those Goldfinches...I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see your photos ..they look so pretty with all the green around them : }!!
Blessing : }
Grace

Roy said...

Elderberries already Mary, great shots of the Goldfinches.

Nature in the Burbs said...

Great shots. I never knew the goldfinches would eat duckweed! Nice skink photos too

Janice K said...

Praise God indeed. We got some more rain last night. It is amazing how green things have become and new flowers have appeared after being so brown.

Your pictures are so pretty.

Becky said...

Finally you got some welcome rain, and got more wonderful pictures. Love them all. We had 1/4" today. Not nearly enough, but we'll take what we get.
I've sung that song so many times.

A Colorful World said...

Oh, Mary, what a wonderful array of gorgeous flowers and birds and water and turtles...just everything to make the heart skip a beat! It's so beautiful there now that the rain came again! I hope it stays that way! I never would have imagined the goldfinches would feed on duckweed like that! Great photos, all! And, aster....a little herald of pre-fall, perhaps!?

Carletta said...

Hi Mary,
Haven't been here in a long time Mary. Actually haven't blogged lately. Just stopped by to see what you've been up to.
I think the purple flower is what we call Ironweed.