My last trip to the wetlands, I saw more than turtles :-)
These two mating Buckeye butterfles flew across my path and landed where I could take some photos.
The Eastern Pondhawk males were ready to pose, also. Look at the thorns on that branch he is sitting on.
Face of a dragon
I always feel like I have walked into a sci-fi novel when I am looking at dragonflies. Their wing mechanism is so interesting and the big eyes and other face parts.
A Common Whitetail male. Not a good angle, but when I asked him to turn around, he just flew away :-)
I usually depend on Mike to spot the really tiny critters, but he wasn't with me this day. However, I found two very tiny frogs......about the size of my little fingernail.....on the logs where the turles were sunning themselves.
I believe this is the Little Yellow sulphur butterfly. It was smaller and a richer yellow color than the sulphurs I see more often.
Another skink with a nice long tail. I think their name is 5-lined skink.
Don't know the name of this "thing" but it landed right in front of me and posed! Will have to try to look it up. Doesn't look like something I'd want to "run into in a dark alley", if I was a bug.
(NOTE: BugGuide.net says this is a Robber Fly.)
8 comments:
Great pictures...Such a face on that dragon!
Great pictures of all your 'critters'! If I were naming the skink, I would call it a Blue-tailed skink! We have some of those around the yard. I'm intrigued by those Dragonflies, too! They DO look 'other-worldly'! Looks like we will have more little Common Buckeye butterflies! Their colors are amazing! In a close-up you can see pinks, purples and blue besides the obvious oranges and browns. Happy Wednesday!
Interesting shots from the wetlands! Some days one sees a LOT ehile other days don't yield all that much.
I am always amazed at your dragonfly pictures. Mine don't look that sharp.Great photography work.
Janice: I thought he was rather comical looking :-)
Dorothy: It may be called both the 5-Lined Skink and the Blue Tailed Skink. I looked up both and it seems like the same thing in the photos. I'm glad we will have Buckeyes since I don't seem to have many other butterflies this year!
Cicero: It's been pretty good lately for seeing something new each time I go. I've missed seeing flowers and butterflies this year and the birds haven't seemed very plentiful either.
Ruth: I always shoot them sitting still and I always put the camera on the macro setting. Seems like no matter what distance I am, with my camera it wants the macro to shoot dragonflies. I know so little about cameras! I just fiddle until I get a clear shot :-)
I love the buckeye butterflies...do you follow The Run Around Ranch...she always comments on my Time Stand Still blog...she has a drawing of a buckeye that she is giving away. She posted it just a couple days a go.
Love all your shots Mary. Dragons are hard to photograph I think.You did GREAT!
Excellent captures!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE that cute little face on that dragon :)
Post a Comment