Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back at the wetlands....

Now that we've had some rain and things look "happier" at the wetlands, I went back yesterday.  I have missed my walks there so much, but couldn't bear how awful everything looked while it was dry.
A Blue Dasher male doing his best Olympic gold medal handstand :-)  
I give him a 10 and the gold medal for the USA!
Is everyone enjoying the Olympics?  I am!  I love all the coverage this year that allows the chance to see a lot of less popular events that often don't get shown on TV.
 Another Blue Dasher male waiting for a female to cruise by.
An Eastern Pondhawk male
 Only one Mallard and no geese on the water at the moment.  I think everyone else moved on as soon as the young ones could fly because it was so dry the last 2 months.  There will be more stopping by this fall, I'm sure.
 A wasp on the Swamp Milkweed.  I was fascinated by the feet.....all the little bristles that are on them.
 I hope you can see them well, if you click to make it bigger.  I never realized how bristled the feet were!  Will have to look them up and find out more.

I saw a few butterflies but all at too great a distance or constantly moving.
 Turtles on the logs in the sunlight.  I think the one on the left is getting ready for a "dive".  
Maybe this is an Olympic swim team getting ready for a relay!  
Anyone else have any "Olympic" birds or critters to post?  Let's get into the spirit of the games.
Watching me, watching him.
Those claws on their feet sure look sharp!
 We could see a very large turtle shell peeking out of the water about 100 feet from where we were standing.  (that thing between the two logs).  I thought it was trash in the water at first because it looked so big.  I tried to creep closer, but several people walked by before I got there.
Here it has sunk down some and stuck its head up....that's a very large looking head and eye!  Would love to know how big this one is!  Can't see enough to know what kind it is, but I have seen really big snappers in this area.

9 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...The Olympics shots are great : }, but the turtle may be stuck in that position rocking back and forth not getting anywhere..swimming in mid-air LOL!!
I love those turtles all covered with duck weed!!
That large one ...your sure it is a turtle..not something from the deep lagoon!!
Grace

grammie g said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janice K said...

That last turtle looks huge!! I think all the critters, plants and people included, have enjoyed the rains and a little cooler weather.

Enjoy it while it lasts...

Rose said...

Oh, wow, that one turtle looks huge!!!!

Love all the dragonflies you posted...I am not getting much chance to photograph any.

wildaboutwales said...

best thing I watched on the olympics was the womens football match. usa v canada.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great dragonfly and wasp shots. That turtle looks VERY big.

Dorothy said...

Great pictures, Mary! So glad to see your Wetlands, actually WET again! Yes, we are watching and enjoying the Olympic games. I always look forward to them. The only contestants I have here are the Bluebirds diving into the water, and y'all have seen them before;-)

Becky said...

I just love your dragons! Haven't seen many here, but then again I haven't been out much.
I always think the turtles with the duckweed are so cool!

Rose said...

Oh, my, that last one looks huge....