Monday, August 13, 2012

Turtles, turtles, and more turtles....

If there is one thing our wetlands have plenty of it is turtles!  I love to watch them and take photos of them.  So I decided to just make this post about turtles and save the other stuff for the next post :-)
 I'm not good at identifying turtles except for the Red-eared Sliders.  That red mark on the side of the head makes them an easy one to spot.  That seems to be the turtle that is most common in this area.
I love the way they balance on the logs and lie there with their legs stretched out :-) 

 The second most common turtle here is the Painted Turtle and I'm not always sure about them, but this one with the red spots showing along its shell is one, I'm pretty sure.

 A Red-eared Slider peeking up out of the duckweed at me.  He was chasing some little bugs around. 
 Ready to take a dive?
Camouflaged with a coating of duckweed. 
This turtle had me puzzled.  It has a rough dry looking shell with a ridge on the back and a yellow head mark.  I tried to find out what kind, but didn't have any luck. If any of you have any idea, let me know!
 I always think it is funny the way they pile on top of each other when it suits them.
This log is getting crowded! 
All sizes 
They appear to be having a conversation about something.
They look like they are "air swimming".

12 comments:

Rose said...

Wouldn't it be amazing to see all the turtles there in one big pile!

Mary said...

Rose: I'm surprised as low as the water got in July that I didn't see them all in a big pile! LOL. It would sure be neat to know how many are in there.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the turtles. The wetland is beautiful. Ours is pretty much dried up. But rains will come.
Cheers from Cottage Country!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yes I'd say that is ALOT of turtles... They seem to live in a perfect location for them...

Seeing turtles like that reminded me of the times I used to visit my brother in Florida before he died. He loved to walk to the water to see the turtles on the logs... Great memories.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

Fascinating. The algae covered one do look comical.

Janice K said...

Love it! You have taken so many cute turtle pictures...We have a small lake in our addition that we pass coming in and going out. Quite often I see three of them on a small log sunning themselves. When I've walked down to take their picture, the dive in the water. I guess they are camera shy.

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE turtles and don't see them often enough! You sure do have a BUNCH of them :)
Great captures!

George said...

I didn't realize how good turtles are at balancing on a log until I took a close look at your photos. Some of the turtles in the water are so well camouflaged that it's amazing you spotted them at all.

Kathie Brown said...

These turtles just made me laugh! They look like they are doing yoga in the last pic!

Judy said...

They look funny, all covered in duck weed, but I suppose they have no way of cleaning themselves off...

Roy said...

Wow! special shots Mary especially the butterflies.

Becky said...

WOW, That's alot of turtles, and it makes it so interesting with all the duckweed and slime.