While in Muskegon, we went to the Great Lakes Naval Memorial Museum and toured a submarine.
Very long....
The USS Silversides was one of the most decorated subs of World War II.
30 boats sunk, 14 damaged, 2 airmen rescued, and I forget how many mines blown up.
Mike was enjoying himself :-) He took photos inside the sub, but I didn't. I was too busy concentrating on climbing through all those doorways. Subs are NOT as big as they always look on TV and movies. I don't normally have claustrophobia, but I would if I was living on a sub!
As we were climbing off the back of the sub, a mother duck and her two babes were climbing onto this floating piece of wood.
Everyone dried off well.....
I'd say that Mom is a "manky" Mallard mix.
Double dry, double the fun
Aren't they cute? They snuggled up together and took a nap.
There is also an LST in Muskegon down by the Visitor's Center in town. This was interesting to us because LST's were built in Evansville during the war and we also have an LST docked at our city. I posted photos of it a couple years ago. Ours is fully operational and cruises the Ohio River on occasion to visit other river ports.
The Muskegon light.
This may just be an inner light and not their main light. We didn't see any really big ones at the cities we stopped at.
A large ship that was right behind the LST.
8 comments:
Jeep enjoyed this post with me!!! Love the first picture!!! I've toured a sub and I can't even imagine living in one underwater!!! Love the pictures of the ducks, especially the two that are preening!!!
Oh,this looks so interesting. I am sure my Hubby would have loved that place.
You have to be a bit of a contortionist to get through those round metal doorways Mary.
How interesting! I'm fascinated by subs but would NEVER be able to go under water in one due to my claustrophobia! Neat to get to see one, and the lighthouse, and other things they have made available there. Bet Mike sure enjoyed it all. Nice to see Mike again....tell him I said hello! :-) The ducks are adorable.
I don't really think the subs in the movies are real - not enough room for the cameras and all...
I love the ducklings!! Trust you to visit a submarine and photograph the wildlife on the river beside it!!!
HA HA---reminded me of the time when George took me on the USS North Carolina in Wilmington... Going up and down and around and around all of the steps wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done.... ha ha... BUT--like Mike, George LOVED every minute of it.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
I can't imagine being confined to a ship let alone a sub. D was stationed on a ship once but before they got sent out they had to do a shorter trial run to see if they could handle it!
What a nice tour. I remember touring a sub in Pittsburgh, Pa, and you are right, they are not very wide!
Adorable ducks. Love the babies.
Post a Comment