Monday, August 20, 2012

More wetlands odds and ends....

You may get tired of seeing my wetlands in this blog, but I never tire of going there :-)  This will probably be my last post from there for awhile.
 A Blue Dasher doing his handstand.
 I don't know the names of damselflies, but this was a very tiny one.  I was looking for tree frogs but haven't found any yet this year.
The Eastern Pondhawk male on the duckweed. 
 The resident Great Blue Heron hiding in the weeds at the edge of the lake.  He didn't seem to be stalking anything.
 These mushrooms are actually in my yard, but I wanted to include them in this post.  I'm starting to see little mushrooms pop up all over the yard.
This morning the mushrooms were totally gone!  We had 3 skunks out there last night.  Do skunks eat mushrooms?  Something certainly did.
 A Question Mark butterfly being very cooperative for photos.
Same for this Red-spotted Purple Admiral. 
It gave me open and wings-up shots both!

 A female Common Whitetail, I think.
The clouds reflecting in the creek.
I don't know what this little pink flower is but it is on a very tall sprawling plant. 
Swallows up in the tree. 
And of course...turtles!  Look at the evil looking nails on those front feet. 
This one was lazily swimming around right below me. 
I think it is the same one I saw the last time with the rough shell and yellow head marks. 
On the log catching some sun. 
Running out of room. 
Thistle stuff 
Yellow flower...no idea of name.
(If anyone cares, that weird bug I posted 3-4 posts ago is a Robber Fly!  Found that out from BugGuide.net.  They are so helpful for unknown bugs.)

7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I love your wetlands photos... All are GREAT... We never tire of seeing them!!!!

Love seeing your mushrooms. I took a picture of a huge mushroom in our yard recently and I'll show it on my Wed. Blog post... (Today I'm showing the deer/fawns.)

Wonder if the turtles 'fight' over a place to sun on that log?????? ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

I agree with Betsy,never tire of seeing wetlands pictures.So much variety.

Mary said...

Betsy and Ruth: Thanks! I feel like I show the same things all the time, but it is the way I chronicle what is happening at the wetlands.

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary! I always enjoy my walk with you!

Cicero Sings said...

Yes, enjoy following along on your walks. Your butterfly pics turned out great. Those rascals will hardly ever open up for me if they even settle down long enough for me to get a shot! I have been fortunate a couple of times this year, however, but pure luck.

A Colorful World said...

Great photos, Mary! I LOVE that Question Mark butterfly! Beautiful! I never tire of your wetlands photos...you always see so many interesting flora and fauna!

Rose said...

Mary, you know I never tire of seeing photos from the wetlands. I must not have scanned back through here the other day when I looked to see your post from the dunes. I always really enjoy seeing these...and you really are getting some good shots.