We drove around the Blue Grass stripper pits the other day. We could tell the water level was lower than normal, but still plenty of water to attract birds and animals.
We saw lots of Goldfinches!
There was a field of dried up sunflower heads, but the seeds must still be good.
And the Goldfinches love the water's edge.
Getting ready for a bath
"Ah.....that is so cool!"
Splishing and splashing
"Don't you wish you were in the water, too?" (Yes, I do!)
Only saw one heron along the far edge of one of the pits.
There were dozens of these Pennant dragonflies sitting on the tips of grasses along the edge of the fields.
Not sure if this is a sparrow or a female finch, but it had its own little bathing spot away from the Goldfinches.
A little private pool to splash around in.
Lots of thistles going to seed!
This might explain why the Goldfinches were so plentiful, too. They love thistle seed.
9 comments:
Those Goldfinches know how to cool off. It seems that bird activity is increasing around my yard as well.
Thistles going to seed here too. I'm wondering where the flowers went. Don't remember seeing them.
Plenty of rain the past couple days, but it's been raining so hard, it just runs off!
So neat to see them taking a bath. As hot as it has been this summer, I've see a lot of birds getting a drink but none taking a bath.
Nice pictures, Mary! I love that last one of the Dragonfly!!! Take good care of the Goldfinch and send them back down here for Fall and Winter;-)
The perfect birdbath~ such a great post & amazing photographs!
Wonderful photos, especially of the goldfinches!! We have also had a couple of inches of rain, and I can see the new sprouts in the grass!! Hope it is not too late for the farmers!
HI Mary....It is so sultry here Yuck...I wish I was that Goldfinch..I would lay in that water!!
Loved seeing those birds taking a dip..so cute to see!!
I like the Thistle "fluff",a great treat for the Goldfinches and insects!
Take care!
Grace
It certainly is cool Mary.
Lovely dragon shots.
We keep getting little bitty showers, but so far nothing that lasts long. Of course they are welcome...but would love to see the water levels come back up here like they seem to have there.
Post a Comment