Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Animals that beg" at the Indiana Dunes St. Park....

I couldn't think of a title.....obviously :-)  
We stopped at the Indiana Dunes on the way to Michigan.  It wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  Mostly it was just a big beach with a lot of people, and some high dunes behind it covered in vegetation that don't look like what I thought the dunes would look like.  Will put in a couple shots at the end of this post.  We did not climb any of them....too hard on my bad knee.
********
These two raccoons were at the nature center in the park.  We were watching birds at the feeders when these two came strolling out of the woods to see if there was any food for them!  I thought they were very brazen!
"I don't see any food over there."
 "Maybe there is something under here."
 "Hey, stupid...the food is up here!"

Then later as we picnicked by the beach, a gull decided to watch us and wait for crumbs.
 "Don't mind me.  I'll just wait here until you are finished."
 A few gulls that a little girl was feeding.
 "Would you hurry up!  I'm getting tired of waiting!"
 He had to keep chasing away the other gulls.  Apparently our table was "his" territory.
 Watching the waves.
 "Sigh....I'm still waiting!"
I did make sure I left a few crumbs under the table when we left and he moved right in to claim them.  I was surprised that he was as "polite" as he was and didn't attack us for food while we ate!
 Lake Michigan.  This beach was less crowded.
 The dunes.

 These two photos are of a dune called Mt. Baldy.  You can get an idea of how high it is seeing it from the parking lot.  I think it was about 180+ feet tall.


7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those Coons are always ready for a handout,as are the gulls. WOW,the dunes are huge.

Dorothy said...

The Raccoons are pretty cute, although they can be a pest! I've never seen Lake Michigan or the dunes. Those are some high dunes! I can see why you didn't climb on them!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, George took me there in 2002. He grew up in northern Indiana (Crown Point) ---so he is very familiar with the Dunes...

Great pictures.
Hugs,
Betsy

A Colorful World said...

Wow! Mt. Baldy is so neat! Great pictures!

A Colorful World said...

By the way, too cute, those raccoons! :-) How often does one see a raccoon in the wild!? Not often.

Rose said...

I have never been to the Indiana Dunes...one of the places we have meant to visit and just never have.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I'm back home and will have photos soon. Got to get them transferred from Mike's laptop to my computer and sort and label. Too tired tonight!