These are the last of my half-way decent Goose Pond shots. They look better if you click to make them larger. So many of them are very distant shots.
This Harrier was one of the last things we saw. He was swooping up and down in the grasses and obviously hunting. We had trouble keeping up with him, let alone getting any photos! We thought it was a hawk or young eagle until we had the photos on the computer. I can see the "white rump" and the way he flies with his head down.....very much a Harrier!
They are fun to watch, but I never get good photos.
Cormorants spreading their wings. That duck in the foreground looks like a diving duck, but I never saw it dive.
A couple of the many distant herons standing in the shallow waters.
This one looked so dark in color....not like what I usually see. But I don't see how it can be anything but a Great Blue Heron. I think we were seeing both young and adults which accounted for the different colors.
One flying away in the distance.
Two.....one bigger, darker.
Surrounded by ducks. I never identified the various ducks we saw.
Heron....ducks...
The ducks didn't all look like Mallards to me, but not obviously any kind.
...more ducks
Probably the clearest photo I got of any of the ducks.
Sitting in the weeds.
Heron fly away
This one had us puzzled.....I finally decided it must be a heron, but is it sitting or is it standing on the other side of that mound? If it isn't a heron, than I have no idea what it is.
Egret and Heron together.
They like those mounds.....whatever they are. This one walked right past the egret and climbed up on the mound.
Egret hunting fairly close to where I was.
Egret spreading its wings on landing.
Stalking egret.
I so rarely get a flying shot, I had to post these even though they aren't great.
Winging away.....I saw lots of things winging away from me :-) They don't seem to like me very much. I wish I lived close enough to go to Goose Pond every day. It is a wonderful place and so much activity right now!
9 comments:
Great set of photos, Mary... I love the way Blogger now shows all of the pictures in a slideshow...
Hugs,
Betsy
What a bunch of neat birds!
Hi Mary..I personaly hate the lightbox enlarger...when the took it of I thought good,but it is back ...at least there is a x to close it , and go back to the post!!
It doesn't give much enlargement either grrrr!! done lol!
What a lovely place to get some great water bird shot's!!
It looks like you had yourself a great itme : }}!!
Grace
You have a wonderful set of pictures here.
To see so many Herons and Egrets would be very exciting.
Betsy: I like that, too! It makes the photos look better than when they come up singly and easy to move from one to the next if you want them large. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't....that I don't understand.
Janice: Thanks!
Grammie G: I'm not sure what you call the lightbox enlarger? If it is the slideshow thing, I love it and the photos come up very big.
Ruth: We saw so many great things and I just wish the photos had been better. These are the best out of over 300 photos! Most were out of focus.
Wow, I think there was a lot more there when you were there...those brown ducks...we only saw two of them. I didn't see the Northern Harrier at all...we did see several egrets and herons...but I had not chance of shots. Just too far for me.
I really enjoyed your pics.
So good to be able to see your birds. We have none here this Fall. Our neigbors have 5 dogs, and they scare everything away.
Thanks for sharing.
B.
These are amazing. I love the heron. I used to see them when we lived by the lake. The odd time they fly over in the evening, but they are mostly gone now!
Wonderful pond photos! I love wetlands and all the wildlife teeming there! I really enjoyed this visit!
Post a Comment