Monday, August 22, 2011

Young Red-bellied Woodpecker......

I looked out the front door the other day just in time to see a young Red-bellied Woodpecker at the suet.
It is so funny looking.....like it is bald.  Very "gawky" adolescent looking :-)
It liked the suet and seemed to want to hang around, so I filled all the suet feeders.
I think this is the first young one I have ever seen at my feeders.  I'm glad to know I have a successful mating pair around.  I see the adults from time to time.
Posing
Not the best focus, but a close-up of the head.
Hanging underneath.  I hope it stays around for awhile.

8 comments:

Rose said...

I have never, ever seen a young or baby woodpecker...I bet he does stay around as long as you put out suet.

Ruth Hiebert said...

He does have that awkward adolescent look.

George said...

We have a couple of young woodpeckers at our suet feeders as well. This must have been a good year for woodpecker families.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Cute little guy, Mary. Have you seen a juvie Red-Headed one? They are so unique --with their all-black heads.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kerri Farley said...

How cool! I've never seen a youngster before at my feeders. Great captures!

Janice K said...

Nice pictures! I have had a young one like that around for quite a while now. I never see it with it's parents, but it definitely likes the suet. I need to post my pictures, but for some reason just haven't done it.

Becky said...

Excellant mary! The pair I had here during the winter seem to have left. I've never seen a Red-bellied youngster before.
B.

Mike said...

Great looking bird Mary.