Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hovey Lake area.....

Last week we drove out to Hovey Lake one day.  This is a very large lake near where the Ohio River and the Wabash River meet.  Sometimes we see a lot, sometimes we see next to nothing.  This was a day for a great variety of species even if I didn't get perfect photos.
Before we got there we saw some turkeys off the edge of the road.  These 2 are young ones.  The adults hustled into the bush on the other side and a couple flew away into some trees.
We pulled into the main parking lot and I could see a gray bird up in the tree flitting around.  Shooting out of the car window and upwards didn't make for great photos, but this was the best one.  When I got home I identified it as a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.
I'll show this tail shot just because it helped me figure out what it was :-)  That black section between the light sections was very obvious and is one way to recognize them.
Leaving the parking lot we could see this Great Blue Heron through the trees.  I didn't try to get out for a better photo figuring I would scare it away.
Heading around to a path we like to walk at the end of the lake, we saw 2-3 deer.
I spend about 10 minutes chasing two Monarch butterflies that didn't want to hold still most of the time.  You can see the second one below the first, but out of focus.
  This is what happens when the subject moves :-)
Not much different, but I liked it on the Button Bush.
There is a path we walk that goes between the lake and a swamp area.  This heron was sitting high until we arrived and chased it away.  I don't know if you can see the black spots...those aren't dirt on my lens.....they are dozens of dragonflies flitting around.
Part of the swamp.
We usually see Red-headed woodpeckers here and found a pair.  He's sitting high watching everything and she was following him around.
An Eastern Pondhawk female
Another one that is eating something!  I didn't know that until I got home, or I would have taken more photos.  Can't tell what it is....something green with little horns? Caterpillar?
I just liked the "o" shaped vine hanging over the lake.
Heading back down the road towards home, I saw a large bird in a tree....an Eagle!
A little bit closer, but too many branches in the way.

7 comments:

George said...

I'd have to say that this trip to Hovey Lake was a great success. You saw a nice variety of wildlife. I really like your eagle captures.

Ellie said...

Hi,thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments.

You got a great selection of pictures from your visit to Hovey Lake, I'll bet you had a great day. :)

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...I love your out of focus Monarch ..it puts a different spin on it..lol
The Woodpeckers on the pole.. is just great if it wasn't for the red head they would look like branch stubs lol
Very nice all of them...
Nice outing !!

I am hoping the storm gets tired out before it gets to me ...but if you don't see me ...I have lost my internet service!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I really like that out of focus Monarch.THe patterns created by the wings is cool.

Rose said...

Any day with an eagle viewing is tops in my book! But what a lot of variety you got besides it...

Roy said...

Great macros of the Pondhawk Mary and its always nice to see Deer.

Becky said...

No matter where you go Mary, you always manage to find such wonderful subjects for your blog.
B.