Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Butterflies, dragons and moths.....

Somehow each week when I show butterfly photos they always seem to be the same!  These were the ones I took last Thursday that I am finally getting around to posting.
I saw two Buckeye butterflies....this perfect one and a very beat up one. 
They do like to spread their wings and show-off.
The side view is nice, too.
I thought I would try cropping in for the markings.  They are one of the most "exotic" looking butterflies that I see regularly.
Of course, the Tiger Swallowtails are always nice, too :-)  This one has a very "dirty" look.  I wonder what causes that?
A much cleaner looking female.
Rather torn up on one side.
They really looked pretty in these orange flowers.  Seemed to be a favorite of theirs.
They also like the Joe Pye plants which are so tall, I have to really shoot upwards at them.
This is the black version of the Tiger Swallowtail.  The black ones are always female.
When you look closely at them you can see the tiger markings through the black.
The only cooperative Sulphur butterfly I saw.
A Monarch!  It wouldn't move out where I could get better shots, but I was happy to see it.  It likes a plant called Swamp Milkweed even better than the traditional Milkweed.  I saw a caterpillar, too, but my photo was poor.  Maybe I'll see some more this Thursday.
A couple shots of the Clearwing Hummingbird Moth.

Just an interesting moth.  No idea what it is called.

A Slaty Skimmer
A Widow Skimmer female.  I think I had the same two dragonflies last week.  I need to change locations and seek some variety.
Some sort of Dusky Skipper.

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are wonderful.The Buckeye is a beautiful butterfly.

A Colorful World said...

Great butterfly, moth and dragonfly pictures! You have a lot in your area and I they are always so much fun to take pictures of! Have missed being on here, but we are at last online again and I have really enjoyed this last week trying to start catching up....check out my blog!

George said...

I always enjoy your photos of the butterflies -- you get such wonderful macro shots. I really like the markings on the Buckeye when you cropped the photo to emphasize the markings.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love the Monarch's, Mary, but the Buckeye's are a close 2nd. You did find a perfect one... Wow!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

grammie g said...

HI Mary...I love your Buckeye ..wouldn't it have been lovely on the orange flowers!! : }
Some real pretty ones you have here!!
Love those buggy eyes of the Skimmer!! "What big eyes you have"..."The better to see you with my dear" : }}
Hope all is well!!

Rose said...

Your photos make me long to get out and try to capture a few butterflies...I have not captures a single big butterfly this summer...and only one or of those one that have the white elephant on the side...I think they are a skipper.

Janice K said...

Your pictures remind me of when I was a little girl and used to collect butterflies. They were so plentiful back then. The sulfer butterflies were especially common, but now I don't seem them very often.

Becky said...

Once again, I am just so jealous. There is no place around here to search for these beautiful creatures.
B.