Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A few birds at Wesselman Woods.....

My bird photos aren't very good because of the glass and the heavy shade, but I saw a few I wanted to post anyway. 
This was a new bird for me....a Black-and-White Warbler!  It was very pretty, but it moved around so fast, I had trouble catching up and getting focused.  I hope to go back and look for it again.
Another shot of it.  I can see where it got its name.
This bird I'm not sure about....maybe a Vireo?  Again, my photos aren't very good for identification purposes.
Another view of it showing the wings.
This one I know....a baby Cowbird......
....all the more obvious when you see a pair of Cardinals feeding it and know that it is NOT a Cardinal!
"What do you mean I'm not a Cardinal??.....Aren't you my mother?"
Another "babe" hanging on a branch way over my head....hard to shoot at it.  The beak looks Cardinal-like, but I'm guessing a young House Finch by the stripes on the chest?
It stayed on that branch for a long time and I never saw a parent bird feeding it, but there were House Finches in the area.

9 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Black and white Warbler is a hard one photograph.They seem to be forever moving.Yes,that other one is a Vireo,but I can't tell which one.

grammie g said...

HI Mary ...isn't it the Cowbird that lays it's eggs in other birds nests??? Pretty odd!
I haven't seen a Warbler all summer ..but of course you know I was there in the garage with my cat litter container!!
That last bird I think is giving you the eye!! : }}

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Thank Goodness that other birds will help the baby Cowbirds. Cute picture of that Cardinal feeding the baby.

Good set of pictures, Mary.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

I enjoyed your bird pictures, Mary. I have never seen a cowbird being fed by another species but I know the cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds so they must raise them.

Rose said...

I have never seen the black and white warbler...he is a striking bird. Love that capture of the cardinal feeding its baby!

Janice K said...

I compliment you for getting out in this hot weather, and you got to see some birds that I don't usually see. The picture of the cardinal and the baby cowbird is really special. They obviously loved as their own.

Becky said...

What a cool shot of the Cardinal feeding the Cowbird. I have never seen this, but I knew it happens.
B.

Andy said...

I've seen a Warbler feed a Cowbird Fledgling once. Didn't know it happen to Cardinals.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone!

Andy: Seems to happen to lots of birds. It is always neat to see which bird gotten suckered by a cowbird mama :-) Last year we had a Chipping Sparrow feeding one....talk about silly looking! I would love to know when the Cowbird realizes it is a Cowbird and starts hanging around with the others.