I decided to try a different park on Thursday. I usually see some butterflies and dragonflies at Mouteau Park that I don't see at Hartman Arboretum.
I was thrilled to find a Monarch and didn't even notice the caterpillar when I was taking photos of the butterfly.
After it flew away, Mike noticed the caterpillar....there were actually 4 on this Swamp Milkweed plant. I believe that black thing is caterpillar "poop" called frass.
Catching the sun.
I think this is the head (I can't tell one end from the other when I am looking at these Monarch caterpillars). Looks like it is munching on the flowers.
Another shot of the butterfly.
Caterpillar and Monarch again.
This Buckeye butterfly chased the Monarch away! It likes the Swamp Milkweed, too.
Basking in the sun.
Blue Dasher male
This was one of the dragons I went looking for. Usually there are a bunch of these Halloween Pennants here, but I only saw this one that was very torn up.
There were many Widow Skimmer males and they were chasing each other and every other dragonfly around. Very aggressive!
Another shot of it.
When we arrived and when we left this Mockingbird was on this fence. I guess it is his "guard" spot.
8 comments:
HI Mary...these are wonderful...
The caterpillar are so colorful aren't they ..just saw one yesterday on the milkweed!
Hope all is well with you two!!
Grace
Lovely pictures.The Buckeye is a very pretty butterfly.
Glad you spotted the caterpillars too. They look quite cute on the pretty pink milkweed. You do get some great dragonfly shots Mary.
Grammie: I like the caterpillars and always hope to find a chrysalis. Never do.
Ruth: I think the Buckeye is one of the prettiest butterflies I see.
Arija: The trick to dragonfly shots is figuring out where they like to sit. They go back to the same spot all the time. I can't shoot them when they are flying.
Love the Buckeye great pictures as always. XXX Don
Oh my goodness ..... these are FANTASTIC!! LOVE that you caught both the Monarch caterpillar and the Monarch butterfly together! Super!
Awesome shots as usual. I learned something today. Butterfly poop's real name. Thanks! I have found 3 caterpillars and 1 has already formed it's chrysalis.
B.
Great Butterfly and Dragonfly shots Mary
Post a Comment