Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Up on the treetops and wires.....

It seems like most of the birds I saw and tried to photograph this week were way up over my head.  Not the best angle for shots!  However, I did see a lot of nice birds this way.
 At home, while sitting in the swing out front, I caught the movement of birds over head in the ash tree.  This little Red-bellied woodpecker was scooting around while waiting for dad to come feed him.  I could barely spot him, he blended in so well.
 Dad brings some food!
We also have several Downy woodpeckers constantly flitting in and out of the trees.  This little Downy was right over my head and splayed out his tail nicely for me.  I don't usually see those feathers when the Downy is on the suet.
At Mouteau Park, we found this Kingbird way at the top of a tree waiting to grab some insects.
 We drove down to Henderson, KY to the river-bottoms area and found this surprise!  Mike saw about 6 Egrets flying towards some trees and we were able to get close enough to get some photos of them perching in the treetops.  They really like the high spots :-)





... and on the wires overhead....a Dickcissel.
I finally found a Dicksisel down low, but didn't focus this very well.
 Another high wire lover....Indigo Bunting.
 On some dead trees in a swampy area, we saw this Swallow outside its nest.
 Tree Swallow
And finally....a few "critters" who like the low places instead of the high ones!  Several dragonflies were accommodating with their posing. 
 Eastern Pondhawk male
Amberwing 
Blue Dasher male 
 There were tiny frogs hopping all over the road in the puddles from a recent rain.
 Red Admiral
I love these wild roses, brambles, whatever they are called. 
 Silver-spotted Skipper
 One turtle in the road....
....and one crossing a field that was just plowed.

5 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

It can be frustrating to have the birds so high,but at least you got some good shots. I especially like the Egret photos.

Roy Norris said...

You have taken some superb images here Mary.

Rose said...

You sure have a truck load of wonderful photos...I totally love those of the egrets. They are some of the best I have seen. Wonderful dragonfly photos...just nothing much prettier than that Eastern Pondhawk male.

Latane Barton said...

Mary, that is one great collection of birds and critters of all kinds. They made me smile this morning, on a rather hectic time for me. So, thanks.

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous photos! Love the egrets especially!