It was a beautiful evening, so we drove out to Blue Grass FWA to see what birds might be hanging around the stripper pit lakes there. We saw some Bob-whites for the first time, but I wasn't quick enough to get photos before they scurried into the low grass along the road.
One of the more shallow lakes has a "beach" where the birds love to come and drink and bathe if no fishermen are around. We got lucky and the place was deserted of humans and the birds were all in a mood to get in the water. This Killdeer was the most persistent of the bathers.
I loved his style and should have taken a video. He bobs his whole body up and down on the water before plunging his head in briefly. Bob...bob...bob...plunge!
And a good shake out afterward! When fluffed up like this his head looks so small.
Another shake.
A Red-winged Blackbird came to join him. I was a little surprised that two such different species would stand around so close to each other while they bathed.
His style was the more typical bend and dunk. They seem to be having so much fun when they do this. I saw the female Red-wing, too.
There are always Goldfinches on the beach.
Up in the small willow? trees along the edge of the lake I saw this male Orchard Oriole.
I'm so glad he came down for a plunge! What a pretty bird, and what a sharp looking beak. I have seen the female there before and she is very different.....more a dull yellow like a female Goldfinch.
Then the American Robin arrived to bathe.
This little sparrow was very quick in and out, and I only got two shots of it. I'm not sure what kind of sparrow it is, so I won't make any guesses. It had a heavily streaked breast and a light grey eyebrow....that fits several sparrows.
The Brown Thrasher showed up....always an exciting bird to see for me.
Unfortunately, humans leave their trash behind, and the Thrasher kept getting behind it.
That is a total of 7 different species that all showed up in the short time we were there! I was having so much fun watching them, I didn't want to leave.
This bird high up in a tree was singing his heart out. He wasn't any of the birds we usually see singing in the tree tops! I think that it is a Towhee. I have seen many Towhees, but never singing in the trees like this. At my house they are always on the ground doing the "chicken scratch" among the seeds. I can't see the orange sides on this much, but nothing else I know of has that black throat area, white belly, and long tail and a bit of white on the wing. We went on-line and listened to the song it sings and think it is what we heard......who remembers once you are back home???
I guess this is a Cabbage White butterfly on the thistles. Saw a lot of them out there.
A female duck in the mud under some trees.
Goldfinch stealing some thistle seeds
This is back at home, but I wanted to include these photos of the Red-bellied woodpecker.
2 comments:
Great set of photos. Watching the birds bathing is fun.They seem to really get into it .
Wow, what fun you must have had watching the birds. We drove through the strip pits last night...was out just leaving the place as it got dark. 'They' have plowed up some of the fields. Corn is already coming up on one side of the road where we enter usually...and the other side has been plowed almost to the top of the little rise.
We saw a few pheasant but all too far to get a decent photo. And red-winged blackbirds of course. Oh, and I put a little bird on Time Stand still. It is really little...I think some kind of sparrow...you have to click to get a good look. And I have cropped the photo...it was late, and I was lucky to get this good of a view I guess. But see if you know what it is...it is not near as big as a house sparrow. And it was just singing its heart out.
It made me wish I had something to record its song with...every sparrow I look at at All About Birds...I can find something about it that makes me think it is NOT that bird. LOL
Post a Comment