We drove through Blue Grass FWA one day last week. It was really cold and we saw a lot of birds....mostly a huge swarm of blackbirds, but got few decent photos.
We saw several Northern Harriers and this one was on the ground eating something
Not sure what he had but he was having a good meal from it.
The white patch above the tail showing as he swoops away. I like to watch them systematically fly over a field looking for prey. Always low to the ground and concentrated on what is below them.
He probably was eating one of the 100's of blackbirds we saw swarming along a couple of the fields.
I can see Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Cowbirds in the mixture.
They were being watching by a lot of hawks of one kind or another! We could see at least 3 sitting in trees nearby hoping for a meal.
The blackbirds were restless and constantly flew back and forth from the trees to that area on the road and to the corn field on the other side of the road. We were in a hurry that day, but did see one Heron on one of the lakes as well as all these birds, and a few sparrows and other songbirds along the edges of the lakes.
5 comments:
Oh, I wish I had been there, too. I am so ready to be out for a day, yet I hate the cold so bad I just tend to stay home.
I always wonder what the Northern Harriers have...I see then on the ground quite often here, too.
I would even be excited to see a flock of Blackbirds right now,as there are very few birds around.
Wonderful shots, especially of the Harrier! I may miss you on your upcoming visit! :-( On the other hand, if you plan to be here during the Gem Show, I will definitely be here then. But, I have to go to MS the first part of Feb. to help bring two vehicles back here (my hubby driving the other) Just give me a call and I'll let you know if I am back in town yet or not!
All those black birds, its a bit like a horror movie Mary. At least you got to spot some Birds of Prey.
nice shots, Mary. Love the hawk pictures.
Post a Comment