Friday, November 22, 2013

This and That......

Most of these are feeder shots at home, but at least a greater variety of birds is beginning to show up with winter approaching.
 This little Goldfinch looks like the water didn't agree with her :-)  I took the frog ball off of the fountain, and replaced it with a dish and a heating element for winter.
 I drove through Mouteau Park on the way home yesterday and saw these two Kestrels at the top of a big Sweet Gum tree.  I was surprised they didn't fly further away, but the tree was pretty far from the edge of the raod and very tall and I guess they didn't feel intimidated by me.  I seldom see two together!
 Not much of a shot, but I don't see the back view very often.
 I wondered if they were a mated pair.....couldn't see much difference in their color, but it isn't mating season. 

 This is Kiwi....the cat that thinks she belongs to us.  When she drinks water, she often dips her paw in the water and brings it to her mouth.  I have not seen any other cat do that!  I was trying to catch her with her paw in the water.
 I haven't seen squirrels around much this summer, but now that winter is coming, they have remembered where the feeders are located :-)  We have a bunch of walnut trees, and they have been collecting walnuts and hiding them.  Mike says he finds crushed shells along the edge of the road.  Maybe they set them there so the cars will run over them and do the crushing for them :-)  LOL

 A Titmouse peeking at me from the feeder.
 A Carolina Wren showed up....always welcome!


 "There's that lady with the camera again.....she never lets us eat in peace."

Our weather is a bit gloomy at the moment.  But not too cold, thankfully and the bad storms have missed us so far.

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Great collection of bird photos. My birds are very active now --as all of the critters get ready for winter.

I just love the little Carolina Wrens --but we have a terrible time keeping them out of our garage. They REALLY keep on trying to build their nests in there…

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Hugs
Betsy

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Mary. Wonderful post. love the shots of the wren and the squirrel is cute.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Lovely pictures. The Kestrals look fantastic. This is a bird which mostly has eluded me.

Janice K said...

Those little Carolina Wrens are so fun to watch. We too have had a little break from obnoxious squirrels. I'm sure when bad weather comes, it will be much easier to find our feeders than where they hid their nuts.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Rose said...

Love these shots of the wren especially...I don't think I have ever seen two kestrals together. And I never get a chance to shoot them sitting still.

Sarah's cat would drink regular, but he would do the thing of dipping his paw into a glass or bowl to drink like that, too.

Becky said...

Good that you see Kestrals Mary. It seems the only time I see them is when I'm driving, and can't stop. That kitty is so cute. My sister is feeding a feral cat hoping she can catch it. She already has a beautiful feral cat and has made a house cat out of her. She's gorgeous. I saw Carolina wren a few weeks ago, but it didn't hang around. I always like your squirrel stories.