Friday, November 1, 2013

Local wood carving show....

I really haven't dropped off the face of the earth, but October was a busy month full of things that had us running in many directions.  I've had out-of-town company, we've had health problems with Mike's parents requiring a lot of running around, a sick cat, and just life in general getting in the way of photography.  
I did manage to go to a local Wood Carver show while my sister was visiting.  
(I apologize for the clutter around these.....it was hard to single out the carving from the other stuff on the tables)
 The bird carvings were my favorites, of course!  Here is a selection of the ones I liked.  The owls were outstanding and this one won an award.

 An award winning duck.


 The details of each bird are amazing and a carefully created background is part of each carving.
 I believe the carver of these is Joel Slaton.  Beautiful work.






 This carver had a nice display of the steps in carving a bird.   Ken Alvey is the carver of these and many of the birds I liked best.










 The details of the feathers is really wonderful.



 I really liked this pair of owls.
There were plenty of things besides birds, and I may do another post with some of the other stuff.
Great show!

12 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, wow, these are all amazing...and bet they seemed more amazing in real life. I loved them all, but the wrens and bob whites are favorites.

Arija said...

Wow! such talented carvers. For my money it's the little chickadee, he looks almost alive.
Hope everything has settled down for you now Mary.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Mary Wonderful carvings and such a variety.

Ruth Hiebert said...

A friend of mine used to do a lot of carving so I know that many hours went into the creating of these pieces.

Roy Norris said...

That is some wonderful work Mary.

Janice K said...

They are so life-like....Wow!

Becky said...

Very, very nice . What an awesome talent! Thanks Mary

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Wow are these ever great!
There are some that are very real looking!!
If you put that Red Bellied Woodpecker in a tree I would run for my camera take pictures to find out after it wasn't real!!
The Owls are adorable !!
Thanks for taking me to the wood carving show! : ))

Grace

Caroline Gill said...

What wonderful carving, Mary! Some of the birds look too real for words!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow----that is awesome. Some of the birds look so real. Those wood carvers certainly are talented… WOW… Thanks for sharing. The Red-bellied is one of my fav's.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kerri Farley said...

These are amazing!

A Colorful World said...

Wow! They are truly beautiful! I have been "away" a lot too! And mostly camera issues have kept me from a lot of my sharing. That's why I haven't posted any of my sewing projects.