Saturday was our 43rd anniversary and also happened to be the beginning of this year's W.C. Handy Blues and Barbecue Fest over in Henderson, KY, so we drove over to eat some good food and listen to some music. However, a trip to Henderson for me always means we have to drive to the slough area, too, and look for birds and butterflies :-) All of the above made for a nice way to spend the day.
We drove down one of the gravel roads and Dickcissels were sitting around on the little trees and plants along the fence rows. I just love to hear them lift up their heads and sing. This is the first female that I think I have ever seen. It was on Mike's side of the car, so he took these photos.
We see the males regularly, but the females usually seem to be down in the deep weeds. This one was cleaning her feathers and quite willing to pose for Mike.
She has a yellow breast and doesn't have the black at the throat that the male has.
"Hello!"
The rest of these are of males. They are the ones that are usually singing.
He has more rust on the shoulder as well as the black throat patch.
Trying to catch him while he sings.
The back of this one looks pale compared to the one above it. We saw at least 7-8 along the length of the road. Also saw lots of Indigo Buntings, but they were not as accommodating and flitted into the bushes as we came by.
More of a front shot up on the overhead wires.
A head shot.
*******
I have some other photos to post....maybe. The W.C. Handy Blues fest lasts all week and maybe next weekend, we will have time to head back for more music and food.....and birds if the day is good!
13 comments:
These are great pictures of the Dickcissals. Around here people get quite excited to see even one or a pair of them.
Love the Dickcissals... Such gorgeous birds ---and one wonders how they got their name.
Hope you enjoyed the Blues and BBQ Fest... Bet you did!!!!! I'd love it too.
Hugs,
Betsy
Very nice pictures! I never see these birds. Guess we don't have them here.
Hi Nice set of photos. I do not know this bird as we don't have it. Margaret
We don't have them either, but I can admire your photos!!! They are so pretty!!
Hi Mary...What a happy Dickcissel...sing, sing a song ...sing it loud sing it long..hmm can't remember who sang that, but it just came into my head!! : )
Grace
PS I am so envious of all you people seeing the Bunting : (
I have seen Dickcissels, but haven't for a long time. I have never seen one in my area.
An Arkies Musings
Pretty bird....I've never seen one before.
I have only ever seen this species once (during a USA trip) and it was very distant. Thanks for showing me some much closer views Mary.
Isn't she gorgeous!
How wonderful to view this little bird. It's a beauty and your photos are great Mary. I hope to get to see one for myself one day.
Denise
An English Girl Rambles
An interesting little bird. I don't think I've ever seen one, not that I would recogonise it anyway. LOL
I love how the dickcissels sing and sing...hard to be sad if they are around. They just lift your spirit right up.
Post a Comment