The birds are happy to see spring arrive at last! But they still need food put out until things start growing. I have gone through tons of sunflower seed this winter...more then usual! They are ready to get on with their nesting and raising families. Our temps are finally climbing steadily upwards and this weeks has been in the 50's and low 60's so far.
My Chipping Sparrows have returned. I only see them in spring and summer.
I think they are really pretty sparrows and enjoy watching them. They are pretty friendly. When I put food on the driveway in the summer, they will come and eat and don't mind me sitting nearby.
We were picking up all the limbs that had fallen over the winter and making a pile to be moved elsewhere. The birds think that we did this just for them because it happened to be by one of the feeders. They will be very disappointed when we get the pile moved! It was attracting lots of Cardinals....you can see two. And a Towhee and a Junco and I think the washed-out bird in the left corner is one of the finches...or maybe a dove (not a great photo, taken from inside the house). All the ground feeders. They love bushes and brush piles for protection while they eat.
This little finch would like me to get the frog fountain set up for this year. I do have a pan of water there with a heater in it and she was enjoying a break. I think she has the eye disease in one eye and she seems tired.
A Cowbird
The female Cardinal
More photos of the Goldfinches as they begin to turn yellow. The black forehead on the males is coming through little by little.
They like this ball feeder, but I have trouble keeping it filled.
They can feed upside down, so they get the seeds that the others can't get.
A female Red-wing Blackbird. I have had a couple pair hanging around the feeders all winter.
I'm happy to see warmer weather and hope it will be a nice spring, even if shorter then usual.
9 comments:
Expensive hobbs Mary,but so worthwhile. So many beautiful birds who come to you with so much trust.
Maybe sparrows are not beautiful, but is accompanied by a man. Also they want to eat. Greetings.
I haven't seen any new kinds of birds yet, but I did see a chipmunk for the first time yesterday, and the squirrels and raccoons being pests already.
Some nice shooting here Mary.
Amazing that when you post a bird ---I generally have seen one just like it at my feeders. This week for the first time in a long time I saw a Chipping Sparrow and a Cowbird... Funny, isn't it????
Have never seen the Red-winged Blackbirds anywhere near my feeders though... BUT--we have a ton of finches!!!!
Hope you are enjoying this pretty weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy
Glad you're getting warmer temperatures now Mary. I love that Towhee. Smart looking birds and I still ove those patchy Goldfinches too! (-:
It is good to see some of your spring birds,while I still wait for spring to happen here. I will have to look for a ball feeder like that.
Lovely set of photos...I have red-headed woodpecker back at my feeders, but he takes flight if I move just a bit. And he seems to spot me inside right away where the other birds pay no attention.
Overcast here today but warm.
I love the goldfinches!! And that image of the female cardinal is wonderful!!
Post a Comment