Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spring is bringing out the birds and the flowers......

I don't know who is happier to see spring.....me or the birds!
I was watching a few of the birds on the back deck at the feeders.  This Downy seems really "fuzzy" above her beak.
Don't know why she wanted a seed from the very bottom.
Then she took it to this tree limb to work on it.
 House Finch male
 I saw this May Apple that was just ready to unfurl.  Thought the flower bud sticking out was interesting.
 ......and one that is almost all the way open.  I don't usually get a shot of the flower, because it is tucked way down underneath, and I'm getting too old to lie down to look under it.  
Red-bellied Woodpecker female found a peanut
 Mr. Red-wing Blackbird......I just wanted to show his lovely wing epaulets :-)
 The Mrs. Red-wing was more shy and didn't want to come out of this bush that is by the deck.
Here she is peeking out at me.
 The Song Sparrow
Is this what you call "mugging for the camera"?
 I really like the little Song sparrows.
Here it is joined by a few friends....a House Sparrow pair and Mrs. Cardinal
 I have one patch of the pale violets blooming.  I gave Mike strict instructions not to mow them down!  My yard usually has purple violets scattered all over it and I mow around the biggest patches.  I only get these pale ones around the back of the house.  I need to try moving a few.
The Vinca down near the old hut.
 Mrs. Cardinal enjoying a few seeds.
Appropriate to have a Cardinal.....I was taking these photos while trying to watch the St. Louis Cardinals win a baseball game.  They hit 4 home runs while I was looking back and forth between the TV and the birds!  
Doves on the driveway......I had about 10 of them out there!
 Forsythia blooms.  My forsythias don't put out a lot of blooms and the bushes are very old and out of control.  They have moved forward from the creek area to about 20 feet further into the yard.  Mike wants to cut a lot of them down and reclaim the yard....which we really need to do!  I worry about taking away the habitat for the birds and uncovering nests.  However, if it would discourage a few of the House Sparrows, it might be worth it.  I know that Song Sparrows nest on the ground and worry that they may have their nests in the tangle underneath.   It's a problem we have to do something about...soon.  
Spring flowers in the yard.  This gives a false idea that I have lots of lovely flowers....which I don't!  These are just a few clumps that I put out years ago along the dam.
 These last two shots are poor, but I was enjoying the splashing that a female Mallard was doing on the far side of our pond.
....and a Kingfisher was swooping over the pond and landed in a tree on the far side!  I haven't seen one here for many years.  Hope it comes back.  I can't seem to get good distance photos any more.....don't know if it is the autofocus or something else that is going bad.  Maybe I will have to ask for a new camera for my birthday....hint, hint, if you are reading this, Mike.

9 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great photos of your birdies and your flowers. We have almost all of the same ones in our yard. Our Tulips are blooming this week... BUT--we are expecting some bad weather this afternoon/tonight. Hope it isn't too bad and that it doesn't destroy the spring flowers.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

It's good to see the birds and flowers out at your place Mary. I laughed at your hint to hubby for a new camera. I have a 'big' birthday later in the year and Chris has let me have a camera early! Hope you get the same. (-: xx

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love seeing the wild violets.They are just so pretty,of course all the pictures are wonderful.

Roy Norris said...

The Violets and the Daffs are wonderful Mary.

Rose said...

I don't know where to begin...love the forsythia. I would love to have some....don't know why I haven't

I don't think removing yours will slow the house sparrows down...but need to look it up for sure. Seems like they like to build in structures, any little hole they can get in. My clothesline posts are made of big pipe and the ends are open...the house sparrows always build nests in them.

Your other flowers are really beautiful, too.

Dorothy said...

I think we are all glad it's finally Spring! Jealous because I don;t see the Downy woodpecker! I know almost nothing about May Apples, except that I see lots of them under the trees. What do they do or what do they look like after this stage?
Cute birdie poses! I love that violet! When in was growing up, these always were growing around our front and back steps. They remind me of home. Great post, Mary!

Judy said...

You seem to have lots of flowers blooming!!! We don't have many yet, but soon...

Janice K said...

You are definitely ahead of us with your Spring flowers. Our crocus and daffodils just started to open, and then we got those heavy rains and many of them are face down in the dirt. I took a short walk in the woods a couple days ago, but still no wildflowers popping through the leaves.

Cicero Sings said...

Those May Apples are interesting little plants. We don't have them here.

The deer chomped my tulips ... I didn't get them covered in time but I didn't think the tulips were up enough to be at risk. I was wrong. Serve me right for my laziness. Hopefully they will make enough of a recovery to feed the bulbs for next year. Deer so love tulips. A few wee crocus in bloom but that is about it for my spring blooms.