I knew it was going to be a great day when a family of quilt quail ran across the street in front of us as we left the driveway. (Note: glad someone caught my mistake...LOL)
I've always wanted to see the baby quail, so I was thrilled that they paused in the yard to graze and I got a few shots of them.....not very close, but at least I saw them!
So cute....about 10 babies.
From there we headed to Patagonia. At the park they had hummingbird feeders and lots of places for them to perch nearby, so I saw a lot of great hummers. I can't identify most of them, but it was great seeing them. Notice the very wide tail spread on the right one.....Broad-billed Hummingbird.
There were many of the Broad-bills, which are very pretty....blue and green and a red bill.
No idea on these.
Aren't these gorgeous???
We thought this might be an immature one
Black-chinned on the right
Soft and downy looking
Anna's.....has a red face mask
Both going and coming we were counting hawks on the poles (7 this day and 13 the day before). Here is a nice Red-tail.
.....and a nest with baby hawks!
A nest in a tree
A nest with a hawk sitting in it.
And I believe this is a Bewick's Wren, which is a life bird for me.
10 comments:
What a great variety!! LOVE those hummers!
You are getting your obsessions mixed up, although I really like the mental image of a family of quilts running across the road...
I love all those baby quail!!! They are so cute!!! And so many hummers!! My favourite image there is the one you caught in mid-air!!!
Oh my! I would feel like I was in bird heaven at this place. So many Hummingbirds and those adorable Quail.
Judy: Glad you caught my typing mistake! LOL....I was in a big hurry when I typed that. I've probably typed the word "quilt" many more times than "quail" and my fingers got carried away :-)
You're sure having a great time down there Mary! Lovely pics of the hummers!
wonderful hummingbirds, you have male and female broad-bills, as well as black-chins and Anna's! Nice little Bewick's wren at the end. Congrats on the lifer! I am so happy and surprised that you saw the quail chicks! It was nice to meet you at Sweetwater today!
HI Mary... Mrs. Quail and her chicks is just adorable : )!!
Wow that is nice group of Hummingbirds! They are lovely colors, and very busy !!
Cute little Wren..you must be right in your glory with all the photo ops!
Grace
Your hummingbird photos both in the Sonoran Desert Museum and these in Patagonia are wonderful!
Another awesome day Mary. Wow, so many hummers, and such great shots! They do have really long bills. Reminds me I'd better get my feeders up today. Thanks for sharing. Love your "mistake". Must be you had quilts on your mind. Imagine that! LOL
Oh, I'm in love--those hummingbirds just pull at your heartstrings. So tiny and so beautiful.
Post a Comment