Friday, January 18, 2013

Brown stripes seem popular.....

I was going through the photos I took yesterday and realized that we had a lot of little brown striped visitors at the feeders.
A Female House Finch enjoying a touch of sunshine along with her seeds.
 I don't usually see these at the feeder!....A female Red-Wing Blackbird.
 She was very hungry.  Other birds kept trying to move in on her, and she just ignored them and kept eating.
 They are very pretty birds.  I didn't see her glossy black mate anywhere.

 And finally....a cute little Song Sparrow is picking through all the little seeds that fall to the ground.


 A side portrait.  Usually these Song Sparrows are hopping around so much, I get blurred photos.
 This White-throated Sparrow isn't quite so striped, but I hadn't seen many of them this year.

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

That's quite the assortment of stripes,but all are pretty.

Dorothy said...

There are so many birds that are brown striped! It's hard for me to tell one from the other.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Lots of little brown birds today.... The one I hadn't see was the female Red-winged Blackbird... So pretty... Wonder where the males were???? We don't see blackbirds much---but have lots and lots of crows (which never come near the feeders)....

Love that little Song Sparrow also... Cute!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Janice K said...

That was an interesting post. Sometimes it is easy to think they are all the same because they certainly look a lot alike.

I have seen the female house finch around here, but none of the others.

DeniseinVA said...

You had some real nice visitors there Mary. I do love those little birds.

Rose said...

The birds really appreciate the food this time of year...there are so many types of sparrow that I have never taken the time to learn them all. And I need to...not sure what all comes here but several kinds.

Kerri Farley said...

A new fashion trend :) I guess those brown stripes help them blend in well. When I go out birding - I try to wear neutral colors so I can blend in too!