Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I finally had a bird eat from my hand...but no photo!

I've always wanted a bird to eat from my hand....today it happened!  And of course there was no one ready to take the photo!!!!!  
 I love the little Red-breasted Nuthatches and they are fairly friendly.  They come to the feeder while I am filling it.
 This morning, they were sitting in the tree just waiting for me to fill the feeders!  So I put some peanuts in my hand and held it out.  It took a few seconds, but finally one perched on the end of my fingers and took a peanut!  So cool!
 These photos were all taken later....you can see how much they want those peanuts!  I can't figure out how to give them more easily without just seeing them eaten up by the House Sparrows.  Most people seem to want Squirrel proof feeders....I want a House Sparrow proof feeder! 
 The Nuthatches are such cute little birds.  I could watch them all day long!
 I'm thrilled to have a pair of them hanging around and hope they stay all year.
I will try to feed one peanuts again tomorrow and have Mike waiting with the camera. 
(These are all taken through glass in poor lighting conditions.  These feeders are on the south side of the house and the sun is awful for taking photos.  Seems like no matter what time of day it is, the sun is in my eyes and I can't see what I am doing.)

11 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh how special! I do hope Mike can get some pictures of this.

Janice K said...

That would certainly make my day...I'm happy for you!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ...fantastic..what a thrill!!
Lots of people say they are shy, but like you I find them very friendly!!
Are the peanuts shelled or unshelled I can't tell !
Make sure Mike is around the next time : )
Grace

Cicero Sings said...

I've had a chickadee land on my hand. The first time it really startled me as they land with quite a little force for something so tiny.

Dorothy said...

Yea! What fun! I know that was a thrill! Now, you know how thrilling it was for me to have the hummers landing and feeding from my hand :)
I would like to have a Chickadee feed from my hand, as I have seen them do with other people.

Kelly said...

...oh my goodness! Of all the birds! Red-breasted Nuthatches are rarities in our backyard, but this year we have one. He has been visiting the feeders for about a month. You've inspired me to try to hand feed a bird! I'm happy you had the experience. I hope he does it again!

Kerri Farley said...

How exciting!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats, Mary... Sorry you didn't get a picture.. BUT--I'm sure they'll come back again, so try it again with hubby and the camera nearby.... I love those little birds...

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

That would have been very, very cool Mary. I'm sure it will happen again some time and hopefully someone will be there with a camera. Great shots of these sweeties :)

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, that is so cool...I bet if you keep at it, it will become very willing.

Seems like the nuthatches here are a lot more skittish than yours.

Naturegirl said...

Oh my what a gift to have a wee bird feed from your hand! I can feed the chippers and squirrels from hand but the birds are timid!
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and all the best of birding in the New Year!