Thursday, February 16, 2012

More Destin, FL......

You probably wonder if I am ever going to finish these Florida photos!  I guess it is the cold weather, but I just can't seem to get in the mood to put a post together.  I do want to post them.....but can't get motivated to start.  Oh, well.....eventually I will be done!
We went on a 3 hour boat cruise as part of the wedding.  Sort of a reception before the wedding due to the time both were scheduled.  I hoped for lots of birds, but we were too far from land most of the time.  This Tern was perched on the post as we returned to the dock.  I have not seen one before but am guessing from the white forehead it is a Royal Tern?  
 I was very thankful for these posts since I got most of my photos of birds on them!  My best shot of one of the Brown Pelicans.
 Getting comfortable.
When he was landing......bent wings and one foot off!
 We saw many Laughing Gulls in assorted stages of life and colors.
 Another one.
 How nice of them to pose for me :-)
There were some Ring-billed Gulls mixed in, but mostly Laughing Gulls everywhere we went.
 Our boat chased this Cormorant off the post just as I was taking its photo.
 One swimming.
Another of the Pied-billed Grebes.
Can you see them?  These are my "mystery birds", which I got a very poor shot of.  I've been consulting different people about what they might be (for those who can zoom in on the photo).  So far I have been told Hooded Mergansers, but they don't look like that to me.  This will teach me to take more time to focus before I shoot!  (NOTE:  Kathie thinks these might be Grebes...possibly Horned Grebes.  I hope so because that would be a life bird for me!  Thanks again, Kathie)
 Back on land the owners of this marina had a pair of beautiful and acrobatic Macaws.

 They really enjoyed showing off for us.
 "Look what I can do!"
 "I'm just as pretty upside down!"
 I think they were trying to read the sign....."Do not attempt to handle these birds"
 "Who us?"

And lastly.....the Home of the World's largest Fishing Lure!

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

All this looks and sounds so interesting.I would love to visit a place like this.

Dorothy said...

Fun stuff! I really like the picture of the gulls on the three posts! I can't identify your mystery birds.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I love seeing your Florida photos... You saw some gorgeous birds. I love the Macaws... SO pretty --and obviously, they were showing off for you. Thanks for sharing... (Wish I were in Florida right now myself!!!)
Hugs,
Betsy

Janice K said...

It looks nice and warm there. So many neat birds, but those Mackaws are something else--What gorgeous colors!

By the way, I really like your quilt art on your sidebar. What a neat way to incorporate your birds and squirrels.

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks...Florida sure has some different birds to what I normally see.

Dorothy: The gulls were nice to pose for me. I saw lots more on the beach.

Betsy: Thanks...I'd like to be back there, but it is warming up here.

Janice: Thanks! If you click on the quilt photos, they take you to my quilt blog. I will probably work on my hand stitching more today. Need to update the photos as I do more.

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, what a lot of fun you had and what a lot of birds you saw! I love the colors in the macaws and the close-up of the feathers is awesome! Glad to help with bird ID's when I can.

A Colorful World said...

The Macaws are just wonderful! What a fun and colorful pair of birds! And, I loved the pelican shots and the cormorant too. These were all so good!

Becky said...

Oh, love the Macaw. I would like to have one! They have 2 at the pet store I visit, and you can hold them. Our youngest granddaughter wants me to buy her one. She says she would save some money for it, but it would have to stay at my house because her cat Dora wouldn't like it! . LOL The price was over $1500.00!
B.