Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Mallard and storm damage......

This is the female Mallard that comes back to my house every year.  She has been coming for three years now.  She has a leg band, so I know it is the same one.  Her mate is not as friendly, but she will sit and wait for me to put corn in the driveway for her to eat.
Mrs. Mallard waiting in the violets
You can see her leg band
She eats the corn and whatever other seeds she can find on the drive.
Last night we had a bad storm.  We thought we got away without any damage until I went out on the deck to fill the feeders and saw that our pink crab apple tree on the dam was down.
I remember the day I planted this tree.  I had to practically chop a hole in the hard packed dirt of the dam and barely could get it deep enough to plant the tree.  I never figured it would be able to get good roots or do very well in that hard ground, but it has stood there for at least 20+ years. 
It actually seems to have produced some good sized roots, but I guess they weren't very deep.  At least I have a hole ready for whatever I put in its place!
Our house has "cherry petal pox".....LOL!  Every year when the cherry blossoms start to fall, we have pink "snow" all over the place.  Very messy to walk through at the front door.
I think I need to get the hose and broom and sweep this up.  The storm really brought down the petals.

11 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...I just love Mallards..they always look like they are smiling.
She is a cutie!!
So sorry about your Crab apple tree : { The wind must have been blowing in an unusual direction, especially if the tree has been there that long!!!
I think you have a cherry blossom lane...it a shame when the weather is not good and the blossoms get blown of the trees..they go by so fast!!
Thunder storms and small hail here this morning

Don Wood said...

"cherry petal pox" looks better than it sounds. I love the lady Mallard shame her husband is not so brave.As for the tree all good things come to an end and as you say there is a hole there for the planting of something new. XXX have a good Easter

Jenn Jilks said...

I miss our ducks at the lake. Happy to be near the kids, though.
Thanks for sharing yours!

You are so positive. Nature just...happens. Good for you.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary, I'm sorry you lost your beautiful crabapple tree. That's so sad... Mother Nature has caused SO many problems across the country this spring. We thought we were going to have a severe storm last night---but other than some lightning and thunder, that's all we got.

When I first saw that picture of the pink snow on your roof--I thought it was HAIL from the storm.

Love your little Mallards. And--they love you.

Hope you are feeling well.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cicero Sings said...

Such a lovely, healthy looking tree in every other respect. Kind of sad after 20 whole years.

Janice K said...

Oh, how sad, to lose a Crab Apple tree. They are so beautiful. It's too bad you couldn't prop it back up and glue it in somehow, but I'm sure the roots have been damaged.

How sweet that you can recognize your duck. She must like the treats at your house.

George said...

The mallard obviously knows that your house is a good place to spend the summer. I'm sorry to hear about your crab apple tree, but I'm glad the damage wasn't any worse.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Too bad about the tree,but thankfully you were not hurt.The pink blossoms look like confetti.

Rose said...

We did not have any damage, thank God. At least this wasn't a tree on your house....do you have any idea what you will plant there next time?

Judy said...

I love seeing the pox, when it comes every spring. We still have a month to wait...
But I love the mallard duck - she knows a good thing when she finds it, and it will help her to have a healthy clutch of eggs and babies!!

Becky said...

I'm getting behind again. How cute to have a pet wild duck.Maybe she will bring the "kids" for lunch too.
How unique to have cherry snow. Love it. Poor tree, will you replace it?
B.