Saturday, May 9, 2015

Odds and ends.....

A few misc. shots from at home and another wetlands walk.
 A Red-headed Woodpecker! 
 This is the first time for one of these to come to my home feeders.  I see them in the wild, but have never had one visit.  It came several times, so it must have a nest nearby.
At the wetlands, we saw these soft shelled turtles. 
 That is a second one in the water beside it.

 A dogwood tree along the creek.
 A Canada Goose on its own.
The Great Blue Heron 
Lift-off! 
Back at home, the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have arrived on their migration north. I look forward to these beauties stopping by briefly each year.
A couple of males.  The female hasn't posed for me yet. 
 A Hairy Woodpecker found the new suet hang-up.
A female Red-winged Blackbird.
A male Goldfinch in his lovely yellow coat with black head.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

Wonderful pictures, Mary! I really like the Red-headed woodpecker! We have enjoyed the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks this Spring. They have stayed with us longer this year...about 3 or 4 weeks. I think they are gone now :(
Hope you have a happy Mother's Day!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love seeing the Red-headed Woodpecker,probably,because I don't get to see them very often.

Latane Barton said...

So glad you had the woodpecker visit. They are beautiful birds and too often they don't make themselves visible to us. It's a special treat when they do.

Rose said...

You get some of the best shots...so sharp and clear!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Love your Odds and Ends, so much color this time of year.
Hope all is well.

Grace

A Colorful World said...

Just wonderful! That red-headed woodpecker is sure happy your feeder is so close to its nest, I bet (or maybe it's nest is close to your feeder, by design :-))