Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Another wetlands walk....

Getting to the wetlands once a week seems to be all I am doing for photos at the moment.  Just haven't been out and about anywhere else interesting much this summer.  But there is always something new with each visit to the wetlands as well as the things I almost always see there.
I believe this is the black female of the Tiger Swallowtail.  It is hard for me to shoot over the through the taller flowers, so there was always something between me and her.  I can see the faint "tiger" stripes and the body was all black, I'm pretty sure. 
This was a surprise...for both of us!  I was headed for the bridge over the creek and looked to  my left and there was a deer standing down the path!  She turned and looked right at me and even took a couple steps in my direction. 
She wanted to go into those trees along the creek.  I left her alone, but it was great seeing her so close! 
A female Eastern Pondhawk 
A pair of them mating 
This Great Blue Heron hangs around the pond on a fairly regular basis and isn't too "spooky" around people. 
 It was near the boardwalk, so I slowed down and gave it time to wander over the edge of the pond away from me.  It must find the best fish near the boardwalk, because it is often there when I first get there.
 Silvery Checkerspot....I think. 
 It was hanging around the little patches of sunlight in the wooded area.
Slaty Skimmer? 
This Spicebush Swallowtail had some wing damage and never held still.  Made it hard to get a good shot. 
Not a good photo.  This spider was in the woods and I liked the web, but I could not get the camera to focus on both web and spider for a good shot. ( I have a lot of trouble with close-up shots with this camera.   I never had this kind of trouble with my Fuji cameras.  I just don't understand the close-up and autofocus on this camera.  It is frustrating.) I notice the spider has green leg bands.  No idea what it is, but it makes a nice web. 
Can't go to the wetlands and not get a couple turtle shots :-) 
At this time of year they are always covered in the green duckweed.
Hope to get out somewhere today.  

7 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Beautiful butterflies shot's, and yes they are hard to get sometimes!!
Those duckweed covered turtles always make me laugh!!

Hope all is fine with you folks!

Grace

Ruth Hiebert said...

Lovely pictures. Seeing a deer within a decent range is always a treat.

Rose said...

I would be so happy if I got this many good shots...of anything!

Mary said...

Your trip to the wetlands is gorgeous. I am loving the butterflies. Turtles are such fun to watch. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos.

sandy said...

I enjoyed all your photos - and love the dragonfly - just reminded me that I haven't posted any of the dragonfly i caught last spring.

and i love turtles!

Kerri Farley said...

These are wonderful! Your butterflies are beautiful and I LOVE your dragons too :)

We've been having really strange weather - it hardly feels like summer here

A Colorful World said...

Fabulous shots, Mary! As always, you show a plethora of beautiful birds and butterflies and dragonflies and turtles...of all the creatures of that marvelous wetlands you have available there. I always enjoy these posts.

I know what you mean about having not so good, even bad pictures of things seen in the past before we got good digital cameras! I have boxes of those, and it's distressing...wish I could do it ALL over again!